Sunday 20 July 2008

37 YEARS LATER

According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual IV-Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR), the following criteria must be met for a person to be diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

  1. Excessive anxiety and worry (apprehensive expectation), occurring more days than not for at least six months, about a number of events or activities (such as work or school performance).
  2. The person finds it difficult to control the worry.
  3. The anxiety and worry are associated with three (or more) of the following six symptoms (with at least some symptoms present for more days than not for the past 6 months). Note: Only one item is required in children.
    1. restlessness or feeling keyed up or on edge
    2. being easily fatigued
    3. irritability
    4. muscle tension
    5. difficulty falling or staying asleep, or restless unsatisfying sleep
    6. difficulty concentrating or the mind going blank

Symptoms can also include nausea, vomiting, and chronic stomach aches.

  1. The focus of the anxiety and worry is not confined to features of an Axis I disorder, e.g., the anxiety or worry is not about having a panic attack (as in panic disorder), being embarrassed in public (as in social phobia), being away from home or close relatives (as in Separation Anxiety Disorder), gaining weight (as in anorexia nervosa), having multiple physical complaints (as in somatization disorder), or having a serious illness (as in hypochondriasis), and the anxiety and worry do not occur exclusively during post-traumatic stress disorder.
  2. The anxiety, worry, or physical symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.
  3. The disturbance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition (e.g., hyperthyroidism) and does not occur exclusively during a Mood Disorder, a Psychotic Disorder, or a Pervasive Developmental Disorder.

5 comments:

jahmon said...

UPDATE:

"DESNOS is trauma which involves interpersonal victimization, multiple traumatic events, or events of prolonged duration. Disturbances in six areas of functioning are required for the diagnosis: (1) regulation of affect and impulses; (2) attention or consciousness; (3) self-perception; (4) relations with others; (5) somatization; and (6) systems of meaning."


Table 1
DIAGNOSTIC CRITERIA FOR DISORDERS OF EXTREME STRESS (DESNOS)
A
I. Alteration in Regulation of Affect and Impulses
(A and 1 of B–F required)
:
A. Affect Regulation (2)
B. Modulation of Anger (2)
C. Self-Destructive
D. Suicidal Preoccupation
E. Difficulty Modulating Sexual Involvement
F. Excessive Risk-taking
II. Alterations in Attention or Consciousness
(A or B required)
:
A. Amnesia
B. Transient Dissociative Episodes and
Depersonalization
III. Alterations in Self-Perception
(Two of A–F required)
:
A. Ineffectiveness
B. Permanent Damage
C. Guilt and Responsibility
D. Shame
E. Nobody Can Understand
F. Minimizing
IV. Alterations in Relations With Others
(One of A–C required):
A. Inability to Trust
B. Revictimization
C. Victimizing Others
V. Somatization
(Two of A–E required)
:
A. Digestive System
B. Chronic Pain
C. Cardiopulmonary Symptoms
D. Conversion Symptoms
E. Sexual Symptoms
VI. Alterations in Systems of Meaning
(A or B required)
:
A. Despair and Hopelessness
B. Loss of Previously Sustaining Beliefs
A
Numbers in parentheses indicate number of subscale
items required for endorsement of subscale
.
Only one item required for endorsement of all other subscales.

jahmon said...

My comment of 20:42 is from traumacenter(dot)org.
Ironically, when the abuse/torture is perpetrated by a psychiatrist, the victim will not seek "help" from psychiatry. I now understand why I never sought "help" and why I could only find so few Greefwald survivors 'online'.

My own healing continues.

Trickzta said...

The DSM is as feeble as Dr or Col Levine is or was. He rejected me as unworthy of his Greefswald 'solution'. His words to me were "no problem-no solution" when in fact he saw me as a problem. I shouted "Bull sh1t" at him after challenging the validity of his reason for his insight and comment calling me a liar.
I was lieing but it was nought compared to his lies.
I'm glad he sent me back to the Army Gymnasium & not to his project, as I fear I would have died there such was my spirit that I would not submit to their madness.
He was a pompous bully & he sensed I knew he was a fraud.
That book of evil, based on BS & designed to push drugs especially on children, the DSM5, is a scourge & should be filed under fiction or better still be banned forever.
False science is not worthy of being in print.

Unknown said...

43 Years later.

I’m out. I finally cracked and the lid got off the pot. I could no longer hide it I was old and tired. I told my work colleagues not to expect me around for at least a month. I left my wife and kids at home, and I went to live with two therapists in Wales for a month.

I am 12 days into it. No more drugs, no more alcohol. Just breathe.

And try to let go of Levin and solitary and Greefswald.

Is there anybody out there still?

I’m sorry I was not there for you.

Is there anything I can do for you now? Except to tell the story, and hope it never happens again to anyone else, ever.

I live in Canada. So does the “evil pompous bastard”. He is still alive. Should we visit him!

Please blog or contact me at peffohex@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Middag enige iemand fotos van Greefswald ?